Long-Term Visas to Live, Work, Do Business Or Study in the US

We help clients who need Green Cards and long-term visas to live, work, do business or study in the United States. If you don’t qualify for a Green Card, you can apply for a long-term temporary visa based on your employment, business or student status. Long-term visas are considered non-immigrant visas and do not automatically lead to a Green Card.

Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your immigration challenges. We’re based in Washington, DC but serve clients throughout the country and internationally.

A long-term work visa normally requires a job offer by a US employer who has to file a petition for approval by the US Citizenship and Immigration Service. Some temporary work visas may also require a Labor Certificate from the US Department of Labor. A long-term business visa often requires an investment and the creation of jobs in the US.

Long-term temporary work and business visas cover:

  • Specialty Occupations including business owners (HB1B)
  • Agricultural and non-agricultural workers (H2)
  • Treaty traders (E-1)
  • Investors (E-2)
  • Fiancé or Fiancée (K-1)
  • Exchange visitors, academics, au-pairs and interns (J-1)
  • Journalists and other representatives of foreign media (I)
  • Persons of extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics (O)
  • Performers and athletes (P)
  • International cultural exchange programs (Q)
  • Religious workers (R)
  • Employees from Mexico and Canada employed in USMCA professions (TN)
  • Executives or managers, including business owners, who require intracompany transfers (L-1)

Student Visas

We offer expert counsel to foreign students interested in pursuing an education in the United States. We can assist with a number of student immigration situations:

  • F-1 student visas are available to people who want to study at accredited US universities who wish to pursue their studies full time; they are also available for people who want to enter language training programs.
  • J-1 student visas are generally used by students in an educational exchange program and can include a student, professor or research scholar, an academic specialist, a foreign physician, a teacher, a counselor, or even a summer intern who is coming to the US for summer school in a travel or work abroad program. It also includes au pairs.
  • M-1 student visas allow international students to attend accredited vocational or non-academic schools in the US.
  • OPT (Optional Practical Training) provide for temporary employment that authorizes F-1 visa holders to stay in the US for an additional year after graduating.
  • Visa extensions allow expiring student visas to be extended depending on the status of the student.

Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your immigration challenges. We’re based in Washington, DC but serve clients throughout the country and internationally. We’re based in Washington, DC but serve clients throughout the country and internationally.

F-1 Student Visa Requirements

An F-1 visa allows students to attend an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, high school, elementary school or other academic institution. The requirements include:

  • Acceptance by a US school that is approved by the Student & Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)
  • Enrolled full-time
  • Proof of enough financial support to complete studies
  • Prior payment of application fees
  • Adequate knowledge of English
  • If a student meets all of the requirements, he or she may apply for an F-1 student visa and then schedule and prepare for an interview with USCIS to receive final approval.

DACA – Deferred Action
for Childhood Arrivals

Since President-Elect Joe Biden plans to reinstate the DREAMers program that grants temporary residency, with a right to work, to the children of immigrants, now is an ideal time for DACA recipients to renew their existing applications to defer any possible proceedings to remove them from the United States. Potential applicants can also prepare initial DACA filings in the event that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) once again begins accepting first-time applications.

In response to recent Supreme Court decisions, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has said it will continue to accept DACA renewal applications but shorten the renewal period from two years to one year. Simultaneously, DHS is rejecting all first-time DACA applications, related applications for employment authorization (EAD), and all advance parole applications (from DACA recipients who need to travel overseas) unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Therefore, DACA recipients should still submit a DACA renewal application if an applicant has ever had DACA, currently has DACA, or had DACA that was terminated, so long as you meet the requirements that you:

  • Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
  • Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  • Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  • Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status had expired as of June 15, 2012;
  • Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  • Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

Contact Us to Discuss How We Can Help You

Schedule a Consultation